Well, summer is in full swing. And if you live in a place like Phoenix, it is ridiculously hot. And when these summer months become to hot to handle, our fitness lives sometimes go to the backburner. I hear it all the time, “It is just too hot to workout”. I totally understand. There are days when it feels like I have to wake up at 5 am in order to avoid heatstroke from my workout. I thought that sharing some tips might help you guys have the best workouts possible, AND survive, in these summer months.
So here are 6 tips to stay cooler and safe during your summer workouts:
1. Let your body gradually get used to the heat. Don’t go out at 4 pm expecting to get in an hour long run in 90° + weather. If your body is not used to it you’re either going to exhaust or injure yourself. So, try going out for 10 minutes the first day, and increase by 10 minutes each day after, until you’re able to complete your full workout.
2. Avoid peak heat hours. The hottest times of day are typically between 11 am- 3 pm, although these can vary depending on your area. Avoiding peak heat hours, as well as direct sun exposure, can provide you with a cooler atmosphere and less susceptibility to heat related illness/injury. Try working out in the mornings before the heat starts (You might even love the energy it brings to your day!) or in the evenings with a spouse, family member, or friend.
3. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Hydrate before, during, and after! Drinking water is essential for your body no matter what. You need more when exercising, and even more if exercising in the heat! Make sure to drink before so you are hydrated for your workout, during to maintain your hydration, and after to replenish all that you lost. Make sure to spread out how much water you’re drinking throughout the day so that you are not overhydrating and forcing down a couple cups of water at a time.
4. Wear light colored clothing with good air flow. Breathable clothing is a must for summer workouts. Well-ventilated clothing ensures that your body is getting air flow and that your clothes don’t stick to you and trap heat. Light colored clothing can also help reflect the sun’s rays a bit du5ring your workout.
5. Get good air flow! Not only do you need air flow in your clothing, but also in the area you’re working out in. This is especially true of you are working out indoors. If there is no air flow around you, the air can be condensed and hot from your body, which only adds to dehydration and heat. Workout near a fan, turn the fan settings to on when on a machine, and make sure you are moving around the room! This will help keep you cool, somewhat more dry, and safer during your workout!
6. Try new things! I get stuck into a routine during summer because it’s just so hot. But getting out of routine can help you in these hot summer months. Go for an early morning run with a friend, a sunrise hike, or kayaking. Just this week I tried wakeboarding for the first time. And it was awesome! It was definitely out of my routine, and 2 days later I am still feeling that workout! Try new things, Get out of routine, and enjoy your fitness in the summer.
What other things help motivate you to workout and stay safe in the summer? Comment below!
Like these tips? Click the share buttons below and tell your friends and family!
Have a blessed and cool summer day today!